ABI's Annual Southwest Bankruptcy Conference and Annual Complex Financial Restructuring Program Scheduled for Sept. 13-15
Alexandria, Va. -- ABI’s popular 20th Annual Southwest Bankruptcy Conference will be held Sept. 13-15 at the Four Seasons Hotel Las Vegas. An outstanding faculty of leading judges, noted academics and prominent industry professionals will present workshops on a variety of topics, and the conference will feature ABI’s popular Great Debates series and a keynote by Prof. Kenneth N. Klee of the UCLA School of Law (Los Angeles). Program co-chairs for the Southwest Bankruptcy Conference are Candace C. Carlyon of Shea & Carlyon, Ltd. (Las Vegas), Scott F. Gautier of Peitzman Weg LLP (Los Angeles) and Jeff Nerland (Santa Ana, Calif). The judicial chair is Bankruptcy Judge Bruce T. Beesley (D. Nev.; Reno).
Timely topics for the panel sessions include:
- Secrets of a Transactional Attorney: Pre-petition Workout Tips, Bad-boy Guaranties, DIP (loans and sale contracts)
- Hot Topics: Why Am I Being Sent to District Court, and What Do I Do There?
- Ethics: Client Issues
Additionally, the conference will present three specialized tracks of concurrent programming: Consumer, Fundamental Skills and Chapter 11.
Sessions for the Chapter 11 track include:
- Current Developments
- Dos and Don'ts of Seeking First-Day Relief
- Digging Up the Dirt: Issues in Real Estate Cases—Valuation, Mechanic’s Liens, Single-Asset Real Estate
- Complex Confirmation Issues Including 1111(b), Classification, Cramdown and Rate and Term
Sessions for the Consumer track include:
- Current Developments
- Impact of Bankruptcy on the Respective Rights of Husbands and Wives and Significant Others
- Home Sweet Home: Residential Issues in Bankruptcy Cases Including Robo-signing, Mortgage Fraud, Standing and Relief from Stay
- Hot Topics in Chapter 7, Including Trustee Litigation, Business Liquidation, Churning and Election of Trustees
Sessions for the Fundamental Skills track include:
- Putting on Your Case in Chief: Does Anyone Know How to Ask a Question?
- Confirmation Basics
- Use of Experts
- The Art of Persuasion: Best (and Worst) Practices
For a list of speakers and additional details about the Southwest Bankruptcy Conference, please click here: http://www.abiworld.org/SW12
In addition, ABI’s 9th Annual Complex Financial Restructuring Program returns to Las Vegas on Sept. 13-14 and will run in conjunction with the Southwest Bankruptcy Conference. This unique program promotes an understanding of the role of investment bankers and financial advisors in insolvency and restructuring. A case study will be presented to dramatize the various perspectives of parties in interest as they examine strategic alternatives and seek the highest value for a troubled company. Registrants will receive the case study in advance (by e-mail). Leaders in the industry will play the role of the major constituents as they work through the case study in this day-long program. For more information about the Complex Financial Restructuring Program, please click here:
ABI is the largest multi-disciplinary, nonpartisan organization dedicated to research and education on matters related to insolvency. ABI was founded in 1982 to provide Congress and the public with unbiased analysis of bankruptcy issues. The ABI membership includes more than 13,000 attorneys, accountants, bankers, judges, professors, lenders, turnaround specialists and other bankruptcy professionals, providing a forum for the exchange of ideas and information. For additional information on ABI, visit www.abiworld.org. For additional conference information, visit http://www.abiworld.org/conferences.html.